Students explore how the world of public policy formulation encompasses national, state and local government.
Students learn about public relations, public interest organizations, issue-advocacy organizations, political parties and many other entities.
We are excited to offer VANTAGE Public Policy for 2021-22 after receiving feedback from students at the high school and learning more about what they are passionate about.
- Roger Andre, VANTAGE Director
More about the program
Students explore how the world of public policy formulation encompasses national, state, and local government; public relations, public interest organizations, issue-advocacy organizations, political parties, and many other entities.
VANTAGE Public Policy gives students an opportunity to delve into this area and understand each of the entities and elements that drive public policy formulation.
Register for Public Policy if you are interested in:
- How public policy is formulated
- Earning college credit through AP and CIS classes
- Fulfilling an English credit with a class that explores research and evidence-based arguments
- Fulfilling a social studies credit while also earning four University of Minnesota credits
Year-long, two-credit course earns:
- AP Seminar (one 11th or 12th grade English credit)
- CIS American Democracy in a Changing World (one social studies credit)
- Students completing this course will receive four University of Minnesota credits for the Political Sciences 1001 course
- Offered in grades 11-12
Guest instructors provide expertise on topics aligned to the VANTAGE curriculum. Teachers use a content-first approach to learning, enabling you to master academic core content, and then see how it is implemented by business partners to provide solutions to real-world challenges.
Mentorship and Networking
All VANTAGE students have a 1:1 mentor, but the networking extends beyond one professional. Mentors often open doors and guest instructors freely share their contact information, some provide employment and extended site visits.