Welcome to MHS Girls Tennis
Mark Your Calendars with these Key Dates for the Upcoming Season:
- Join us for a Social Forum on Friday, July 30 at 7 p.m. courtside after practice. Meet coaches, players & discuss the upcoming season. All current and interested V/JV/ B/C players and parents are welcome to attend.
- Summer Camp is underway and will conclude on July 31. Summer Camps run Monday-Friday from 4:30-7:00 p.m. with match play on Saturdays 11:00-2:00 p.m. The week of June 28-July 2 we will play ONLY on Wednesday, June 30. We will resume play on Monday, July 12 (due to MSHSL mandatory break). Any questions please contact Coach Brent at 952-261-7617.
- Fall registration opens July 19. Click HERE to register!
- Tryouts and practices begin on Monday, August 16 at 4:30 p.m on the MHS courts.
- Varsity will practice from 4:30-6:30 p.m. during the week and some Saturdays from 11:00-1:30 p.m.
- JV, B and C team practice times will be announced at a later date.
- Tryout and Team Info Packets will be posted soon. Please check back closer to tryouts.
- Stay tuned for updates on 2021-22 fundraising efforts including a special trip to watch the NCAA Division 1 Women’s tournament on the USTA National Campus in 2022!
Questions? Contact Coach Lundell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About our Teams
Our program consists of a Varsity, Junior Varsity, B and C team. The Varsity and JV teams play the same schedule with one team at home and the other away at the opponent’s site.
The Varsity is a competitive team that plays dual matches with other schools in a format of 4 singles and 3 doubles matches totaling a 7 point match. The Varsity may also compete in multi-team competitions during the season. The coaches will select the top players in the school system to field a 14 to 16 player varsity team roster using direct competition results and coaches observations of players’ skill levels, potential, and needs of the team. The coaches will do their best to get matches for each player, although many times this will not be possible. As such, the coach will field the best players for all matches. Standing in the conference and non-conference wins affects placement in the sectional tournament. Both team and individual post-season sectional tournaments are used to qualify for the state tournament in which both team and individual tournaments are held
The Junior Varsity will consist of approximately 14 additional players, some of whom may practice with the Varsity and play matches with the JV team. The JV team will practice as a developmental group and play in as many matches as possible. The JV players will most often play in matches with the same dual match schedule as the varsity with an emphasis more on experience and participation.
B & C Teams
New this year! This upcoming season, we will be adding C Team along with our B, JV, and Varsity squads. The C team will be used primarily for player development along with being a competitive team as we practice, play intra-squad matches and play other schools.
As coaches, our goal is that each player has an enjoyable learning experience. We wish you the best and invite you to help make this year’s teams the best ever!
- Matches: Home matches usually begin between 3:40 and 4:00 PM depending on the distance needed to travel.
- Fees: Tennis Activity Fee of $TBD (paid each season) PLUS Annual Participation Fee of $75 (paid once per year).
- Optional Costs: Optional clothing such as sweatshirts and sweatpants run about $60
- Transportation: All teams usually take buses to matches. Buses leave from the South East side of the High School as noted on the schedule.
- Captains are responsible for the first line of communication between players and coaches. They will work with the coaches with uniform sizes and design and they will organize fundraisers and the team banquet at the end of the season. They will serve as role models for the team.
- Captains' parents will help organize the team banquet.
- General awards are for All-Conference, Captains, Most Improved, Best Records (Single and doubles) and various special awards.
Lettering guidelines and expectations
All players making the varsity competition team will receive a varsity letter provided they:
- Adhere to all state MSHSL rules and regulations
- Attend all practices and matches subject only to illness with a daily notification to coach
- Demonstrate proper sportsmanship and demeanor on and off the court
- Give their best effort at practice and matches and display a positive attitude
Rules & Expectations:
- Arrive at practice 10 to 15 minutes early and do individual stretching
- Wear appropriate (coach approved) attire during practice ( It is the coach’s rule that all players wear shirts, shorts or sweatpants, and dress appropriately for the weather, and present themselves in a respectable manner during practice
- Players who will not be at practice due to illness must call the coach the day of the absence stating the nature of the illness and why they will not be able to attend practice
- Players will be excused from practice during spring break but must supply the coach with a note from parents
- Players must wear team uniforms at matches and tournaments
- Players must at all times treat their peers and coaches with respect
- Players must give their best effort at all times
- The coaches do not set expectations for placement in the conference or the state – our accomplishments will be a reflection of our abilities and amount of effort and passion for the game of tennis—all that is required is that you do the best you can each day, improve as much as possible, and enjoy the fact that you have done those things
- Special Note: Newly adopted athletic policy states that any captain that violates the Chemical Usage Rules of the State High School League will lose their captain’s status for the season.